Friday, February 18, 2011

Party Time


We threw our first party of the year this past week. I’m fairly certain that I left a piece of my heart on the 5th floor of Riley Children’s Hospital on Tuesday night.
I can still hear the 5-year-old’s infectious giggle. I can still feel the weight and form of the 17-month-old I held – careful not to pull the lines out of his chest – while his mom went to the party to get dinner. I can still see the smile on the 2 ½-year-old’s face, however reluctant, as I blew him bubbles or as one of our volunteers sat with him on the floor playing cars. I can still feel his 4-year-old sister’s energy as I watched her run, dance, and play alongside her sick brother. I can still see one 13-year-old’s smile, shy at first, and observe her coming out of her shell – from sitting in the corner with a plate of food, to sitting at the big table doing crafts. I still smile remembering her sense of wonder and excitement as she realized that there were gifts, food, and distractions galore. At the end of the night, as a child life intern and I walked her back to her room, pushing her IV pole and carrying all of her gifts, she turned to look at me with a huge grin on her face and announced: “I feel special.” I can still hear all of the nurses’ oohs, ahs, and comments as a teenage bone marrow transplant patient made his way back to the playroom for his second or third plate of food after not eating for quite a while.
I can still feel the hope in the room.
Thank you.
Thank you to those who gave; to those who prayed; to those who donated your time to put together baskets and bundles; thank you to those who passed the word along and took up collections for us. Thank you to Chic-fil-A for donating the nugget trays. Thank you to Adrienne’s Bakery for donating the cookies. Thank you to the lady at the Christian bookstore who gave us an extra 20% off.
Thank You, Jesus, for being faithful. Thank You for being our Hope.
Photo by Lauren Crouch

Photo by Lauren Crouch
We were able to serve approximately 20 families on Tuesday night. It was incredible, and I can’t wait to serve another 20 at Kosair Children’s. That party is being moved back due to construction on the unit, but it will definitely still happen.
Hope will rise.
“Yes, Lord, walking in the way of Your truth, we wait for You. Your name and Your renown are the desire of our hearts.” – Isaiah 26:8
 Hoping, Believing, and Never Giving up,
Sarah

1 comment: